As Scouts, we believe in preparing young people with skills for life. We encourage young people to do more, learn more and be more. Each week, we help our members enjoy fun and adventure while developing the skills they need to succeed, now and in the future.
All this is made possible by our dedicated team of adult volunteers that provide exciting scouting programmes in our Group. Working together in small teams, we make scouting happen and ensure that our programme is fun and exciting for the young people taking part.
Scouting is in very high demand, we receive requests on a regular basis for young people to join our adventure when our waiting lists are open. We are committed to providing a positive scouting experience to as many young people in our local community as we can.
Can your child speak English?
Our only membership requirement is that whoever joins us must speak enough English Language for safety reasons.
In addition if your child’s English is limited, they might also find it difficult to understand everything that is happening, this might make their Scouting experience less enjoyable.
We reserve the right to refuse membership if the child’s understanding of the English language presents a safety concern for the young people or adults involved in the group. For Czech speakers, there is always the option of joining Junák – český skaut, who provide similar activities to ourselves.
When places become available in any of our Sections, priority will be given to those who have been on the waiting list the longest and places are allocated in the following order of priority:
- Young people who move into the area who are already in the Scouting movement (from any recognised National Scout Organisation) will be offered places wherever possible, regardless of the waiting list.
- Children of a parent/guardian/other adult family member volunteering to become a regular uniformed leader within one of the sections in the Group. (Regular means – helping at least twice a month and undertaking the required training obligation).
- Siblings of Squirrels, Beavers, Cubs, Scouts and Explorers currently enrolled at 1st Prague Scout Group
- Anyone else on the waiting list.
- Waiting list applicants will be offered a place, taking into account their time on the waiting list and the impact on the other sections.
- Young people who do not receive a place in the section they have applied to will be transferred to the next section’s waiting list and placed into the waiting list according to the length of time they have already spent.
IMPORTANT – Please be warned that casual conversations with leaders, or even seemingly formal agreements, regarding getting children on the group waiting list are not relevant or valid. The only way to place your child on the waiting list is to make contact via the online registration form.
If a parent wishes to appeal this policy they are invited to make a representation and put forward their case to the Group Scout Leader where a final decision will be made. Please email email@example.com.
Why are we so oversubscribed?
Scouting provides young people with experiences to help build their confidence, provide a sense of purpose, explore life’s values and learn skills – these are hard to find anywhere else and we call them – skills for life!
Scouting is in very high demand and although we have 5 Sections, run by over 30 volunteers, it means we receive far more requests to join than we can accommodate.
Scouting simply would not exist without the enthusiasm of our adults. All our leaders and supporters are volunteers who truly believe in the value and impact that scouting has on the lives of young people and run their sections at maximum capacity. We are always looking for opportunities to enable our existing sections to take the maximum number of young people or to start a new section but in order to do this, we need the support of adults to get involved.
POLICY DATED 1/11/2021